Job Title: Review Appraiser
Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: Office of the Secretary of the Interior
Job Announcement Number: OVS-16-DE-1637874JS
$88,305.00 to $119,794.00 / Per Year
5 vacancies in the following location(s):
Washington DC, DC
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time – Permanent
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Join the Office of Valuation Services!
The Department of the Interior (DOI) is devoted to protecting and preserving the natural resources of this great nation, including National Parks, Landmarks, and the well-being of communities, including those of Native American, Alaska Natives, and affiliated Islanders. This position is located in the DOI, Office of the Secretary (OS), Office of Valuation Services (OVS).
The OVS performs appraisals, appraisal reviews, appraisal consulting, and related real property valuation assignments for the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Bureau of Reclamation (BOR), National Park Service (NPS), and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USF&WS). The incumbent serves as a Review Appraiser. The Review Appraiser will handle the most complex, contentious, and highly political valuation assignments within OVS.
Area of Consideration:
All Qualified US Citizens.
If selection is a person without prior federal experience the starting pay will be a GS-13 step 1 which is:
$88,305.00 annually for Atlanta, GA
$89,125.00 annually for Portland, OR
$90,543.00 annually for Sacramento, CA
$90,779.00 annually for Denver, CO
$92,145.00 annually for Washington, DC
- Occasional Travel
- 1 to 5 Nights Monthly
- Relocation may be offered to qualified candidates
- US Citizenship is required.
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation.
- Direct Deposit of pay is required.
- Selective Service registration required for male applicants, unless exempt.
- Serve as a Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR) for all aspects of procuring appraisal services, when appropriate, to include preparation of contract specifications, statements of work, analysis of contract appraisers’ qualifications, serving on or leading Technical Evaluation Committees, pre-contract conferences, and contract administration.
- Review appraisals and providing appraisal, appraisal review, and appraisal consulting services directly to the responsible Client Service Manager.
- Determine the adequacy of appraisals for unusual, very large, complex, and/or high value properties where application of conventional appraisal methodology cannot be applied.
- Determine need, and responsibility for, the proper utilization of contract appraisers for specific highly complex appraisal assignments.
- Approve, accept, or reject staff and contract appraisal reports within delegated review authority.
One year of specialized experience or work equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to at least that of the GS-12 level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience is that which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled.
Specialized experience for this position includes but is not limited to:
- Reviewing and analyzing complex appraisal reports;
- Making difficult appraisal decisions in the valuation of minerals, timber, highly developable properties, conservation easements, and/or rights-of-way;
- Providing timely and complete consultation services to clients and management;
- Resolving problems with Individual appraisals or resolving value differences between multiple appraisals of the same property.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
Education cannot substitute for the required specialized experience.
This position contains two selective placement factors (SPF) that are part of the minimum requirements of the position. If you do not meet both of the SPFs, you are ineligible for further consideration. The SPFs for this position are:
1) Applicants must hold a current state general appraiser certification in a state or territory of the United States that meets minimum Federal requirements in compliance with Title XI of the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act of 1989 (FIRREA). You must include a copy of your general appraiser certification with your application.
2) A current professional designation or accreditation that requires classroom training in appraisal practice and experience requirements approved by the Appraiser Qualifications Board, as well as a demonstration appraisal report or appraisal review report, and a comprehensive qualifying examination. You must include a copy of your professional designation or accreditation with your application.
The information contained in your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine the degree to which you meet the following competencies (previously referred to as, knowledge, skills, and abilities) required of this position:
Technical Competency – Reviewing Appraisals: Reviews appraisals and provides appraisal review services to clients. Reviews appraisals submitted by staff appraisers and private fee appraisers; determines whether proper appraisal procedures, principles, and techniques were employed and determines whether appraisals comply with applicable Federal laws and regulations.
Technical Competency – Appraising: Appraises real properties and completes appraisal reports employing proper appraisal procedures, principles, and techniques ensuring compliance with applicable Federal laws and regulations.
Contracting Oversight (COR): Serves as a Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR) for procurement of real estate appraisal services via contracts.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package must support your answers to the occupational/assessment questionnaire. If your application does not support your responses to the occupational/assessment questionnaire or your application is not complete, it may affect your evaluation or result in your name being removed from further consideration.
To preview the assessment questionnaire and determine if your experience matches the competencies required for this position, click the following link: TAG:Link to Questions Only.
Qualified applicants will be rated using category rating, which groups candidates in categories according to their self-assessed rating, plus veterans’ preference if applicable. The categories for this announcement are defined as: Best-Qualified and Qualified.
For more information on major benefits offered to most Federal employees, please visit https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits.
The Office of Valuation Services has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval no more than 50% of the time.
Employees must meet the eligibility criterion in the 2010 Telework Act in order to telework. Employees are eligible to telework if they have not: been disciplined for being absent without permission for more than five (5) days in any calendar year; been disciplined for violations of the standards of ethical conduct for employees of the executive branch for viewing, downloading, or exchanging pornography, including child pornography, on a federal government computer or while performing an official function; or received a less than Fully Successful performance rating. The Department of the Interior also considers employees with documented conduct issues ineligible for telework.
Conditions of Employment:
Selection may require completion of a 1-year probationary period.
This position requires possession of a valid driver’s license, therefore such proof is required.
If selected, you will be required to file, prior to entrance on duty, a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 450).
This is a full time position; flexible work schedules will be authorized.
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): CTAP/ICTAP provides eligible surplus and displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP/ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP/ICTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well-qualified you must meet the following: OPM qualification requirements for the position, all selective factors, where applicable; special OPM approved qualifying conditions for the position; is physically qualified with reasonable accommodation, where appropriate, to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry; and receives a rating of at least 85 on the questionnaire. You must provide proof of eligibility with your application to receive selection priority. Additional information regarding eligibility is available from OPM’s Career Transition Resources website at:
DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify
This position is being advertised concurrently using the Agency’s Merit Promotion Plan for federal employees and non-competitive appointment eligibles. To be considered, you MUST apply to announcement OVS-16-MP-1637939JS. NOTE: You must apply separately to each announcement in order to be considered under both.
This vacancy announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 90 days.
HOW TO APPLY:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, March 11, 2016 to receive consideration.
You must complete the occupational/assessment questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required and Additional Documents sections below.
– To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
– Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
– It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
– To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
– To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
If you need assistance in applying on-line, please contact the HR Office representative listed in the “Agency Contact Info” section of this vacancy announcement.
FAXING APPLICATIONS OR SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS:
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover pagehttp://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdfand provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1637874
- Fax your cover page and documents to OFFICE OF PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT at 1-478-757-3144. (Do not fax your cover page, resume, or supporting documents to the Interior Business Center.) Faxed documents submitted with missing information will not be processed.
If you uploaded your supporting documents online but are unable to complete the occupational/assessment questionnaire:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational/assessment questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the questionnaire itemshttp://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
- Fax all six pages of the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
Note: If you submit more than one application package for this vacancy, only the last one submitted will be considered. If you re-submit a package, all application package documents must be re-submitted in order to be considered for the position.
You MUST submit the following documents for this vacancy announcement. Failure to submit all required documents will result in loss of consideration for this position.
- A resume showing relevant experience. Your resume must show the hours worked per week as well as dates of employment (mm/yy) for all time periods. Failure to provide this information may result in you being found ineligible
- General Appraiser Certification.
- Certification of Professional Designation.
- Proof of Demonstration Report
- Valid State Driver’s License.
Applicants claiming CTAP/ICTAP Eligibility must also submit:
- Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-in-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; AND
- Your most recent performance rating; AND
- A copy of your most recent SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your position, grade level, and duty location
Applicants claiming Veterans Preference must also submit:
- A copy of your DD-214, member copy 4; OR
- Current active duty members must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions dated within the last 120 days;
- Veterans claiming 10 point preference must also submit: VA letter, SF-15 AND ALL documents showing proof of type of preference
- Cover letter
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Interior Business Center
NO HARD COPY DOCUMENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED
1849 C Street NW
MS 1445 MIB
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After all application packages have been received, we will review your resume and other application documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification and eligibility requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications and eligibility requirements on the information provided in the Assessment Questionnaire and may interview the best-qualified applicants. For status updates on your application, log into your USAJOBS account, click on “Application Status,” and then click “More Information.” After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within several weeks after the closing date of the vacancy announcement. After confirming a job offer, all other applicants will be notified of their non-selection.